The 10 Best Resources For Forms

A Guideline on How to Get W-2 Form from a Previous Employer

An individual has a personal responsibility over filing tax returns within the appropriate time as required by the Internal Revenue Service. Getting a W-2 form is a crucial aspect in the process of filing tax returns with the IRS since it provides needed information concerning the income that an employee has made from employment within a year of work. Employers are needed to issue a W-2 to the government and employees by 31 January every year. Employees, in turn, use the information in a W-2 form in the filing of their income tax returns. When one quits their job, it is still necessary that the employer gets them the W-2 form to be used in the filing of returns. It is thus necessary that one is familiar with how they can get a W-2 form from a previous employer so that they can comply with the legal requirements to submit the income tax returns by 15th April. Below is a guideline on how to get a W-2 from a previous employer.

One can wait until the deadline for the submission of the W-2 form to come so that the former employer can submit the needed W-2 form. It is also possible for a person to ask their ex-employer to provide their W-2 form before this time, and in this case, the employer must provide it within 30 days of making the request.

When the W-2 doesn’t get to you by 14th February, it is necessary that one takes measures to get the W-2 from the previous employer. This is because you still need to submit your tax returns within the set timeframe regardless of the time when you get the W-2. You can ask your former HR representative to provide the W-2 form for you. You can also directly contact the boss to ask for the W-2 form if the company does not have an HR representative. It is necessary for you to ensure that you provide them with the correct address.

One can contact their previous payroll administrator to get the W-2 form. It may be needed for you to confirm the details of employment with the payroll administrator while also verifying your current address. Where the payroll administrator reports that the W-2 has already been mailed to you, you can ask for confirmation of the date, and you may also request for a replacement form.

One can also contact the IRS directly if the other techniques fail. One needs to have the relevant information about the employer, the previous employers identification number and information about one’s salary and wages. The IRS will contact the employer to get the missing form and can grant you a different form to fill out.

Finding Similarities Between Paperwork and Life

What Do You Know About Income